Animated Header Kith and Kin Header

HomeHome Histories /><a href=Histories

The Stanton Family

STANTON BROTHERS, merchants; West Liberty, Logan County, Ohio

Prominently identified with the leading merchants of West Liberty are the Stanton brothers, whose firm name heads this sketch.

James, the eldest, engaged in teaching school for four winters, and afterwards was engineer at the Phoenix Iron Works in Chicago, and then kept books for some time for Jones & Co., job printers, at the same place. In 1877, he, in partnership with his brother William, engaged in the present business, having a- full line of dry goods and notions. They devote their entire attention to the business, and employ one steady clerk. They make a specialty of maple sweet, having handled during last season over 75,000 pounds of sugar and molasses.

Their father, Daniel, was born Aug. 30, 1808, and was the son of James and Ann (Newby) Stanton-the former a native of Virginia and the latter of North Carolina. He was married in 1832 to the present Mrs. Angeline [Watkins] Stanton, a daughter of John and Elizabeth (Johnson) Watkins; the father was born in Sussex Co., Va., June 1, 1781, and the mother in Isle of Wight County, Virginia

Her [Angeline’s] father taught school in his younger days, and was elected County Surveyor, in which position he served for over twenty years. Her parents then came to Mt. Pleasant, Jefferson County, Ohio., in 1831, and for some time engaged in the mercantile business. He was soon after chosen President of the Bank at that place, retaining that position for many years, and also served as a director of the same; he had ten children, five of whom survive: Lambert, Angeline, William, Elizabeth and Lydia. Both of the parents were members of the Friends’ Church.

The parents of our subjects came to Logan County, Ohio, in 1832, and began life with only willing hands and stout hearts. They settled in the green woods in a "squatter’ s" cabin, made of round logs, stick chimney, puncheon floor, and doors hung on wooden hinges. Here they enjoyed many happy hours among the thick forests and wild animals, but no time was lost, and soon the timber began to fall, and ere many years had elapsed they had prepared a beautiful farm of 75 acres, and ere the father died they possessed 191 acres. They sold wheat at 30 cents per bushel and butter at 6 cents per pound, to pay off their debts and to obtain the necessaries of life. They once sold a large fatted calf for $4, with which they liquidated their tax, it being that amount. On Dec. 16, 1870, the father was stricken from life’s roll on earth, and gathered into life eternal, leaving behind him the companion of his joy s and sorrows, with whom he had shared for over thirty-eight years. They had been during all of their lives members of the Friends’ Church.

Mrs. Stanton is now pleasantly located in West Liberty with a part of her pleasant and intelligent family of eight children, who grew up to call her blessed. A short time ago she was struck with paralysis, which may, ere long, waft her from the shores of time, but she will leave a record of having been a faithful Christian and a kind and loving mother and companion. Her surviving children are-Elizabeth (married Isaac James); John, now in Rice County, Kansas.; James; Deborah (married E. Brown); William and Lydia.

The great-grandfather, James Stanton, was the son of Samson, born Aug. 7, 1836, and Ruth. They had James, John, Sarah and Daniel. The grandmother, Ann (Newby) Stanton, deceased Sept. 17, 1854, and was the last of the Newby family. Her father, Thomas, was the son of Thomas and Mary Newby, and was the grandson of Thomas and Rebecca Pretlow. Mary Newby was a daughter of John and Martha Lawrence, and was born Oct. 9, 1745.

 

Source:

History of Logan County and Ohio, Page 724 (Published in 1880)
Online at: http://www.heritagepursuit.com/Logan/LoganLiberty.htm



The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding, Version 11.1 ©, Darrin Lythgoe 2001-2017.