The Family of Freeman and Louisa Mains Porter
FREEMAN PORTER is one of the native sons of Taylor Creek Township, Hardin County, his birth having occurred here February 16, 1837. He has been engaged in the development and improvement of his farm on Section 22 since moving here in 1860, with the exception of the time which he spent in fighting the battles of his country. His original farm contained but fifty acres, covered with forest and with a small cabin in an unfinished condition. He has cleared eighty acres of his farm alone and has made substantial improvements, which have greatly increased its value. In 1878 he was elected to the office of Township Trustee, and served for two terms. He has also been a School Director and Road Supervisor, and takes great interest in the success of the Republican party, with which he has long been connected.
Andrew Porter, father of Freeman, was born in Kentucky in 1800, and his wife, Rebecca, a native of Ohio, was born five years later. They moved to this county [Hardin County, Ohio] in the fall of 1833, settling on a tract of wild land in this township. The farm comprised one hundred and eleven acres, on which Mr. Porter erected the first brick house in the county, in 1846, and the building was in a fair state of preservation until the winter of 1894. At first, however, the family lived in a log cabin 18x20 feet in dimensions, with but one door and window. Indians were numerous in those days, and wild game was plentiful. At the time of his death Mr. Porter had cleared about seventy acres, this being at the rate of nine or ten acres a year. At first he was a Whig politically, and afterward a Republican, and served both as Supervisor and RS School Director. For many years he was a member of the Disciples Church, and died in that faith October 6, 1867. His wife survived him a number of years, passing away in December, 1884. Of their seven children all but two are still living. They are named as follows: Mary Ann, Green, Freeman, Serepta J., Susan, James T. and Robert.
Freeman Porter remained at home with his parents until reaching his majority, and after his marriage settled about a mile from the old homestead, renting fifty acres of land. At the end of a year he moved to a farm of one hundred and thirty acres west of Belle Center, Logan County, and in 1860 traded his place for fifty acres of the land on which he is yet living. Responding to the call of duty, he left his wife and three small children in the little cabin alone while he fought for the Stars and Stripes. October 5, 1864, he enlisted in Company A, Six Hundred and Eighty-third Ohio Infantry, under Captain Scott, and was sent to Nashville, Tenn. He took part in the battle of Stone River, then fell back to Spring Hill. where he participated in an engagement, and then met Hood in battle at Franklin. Retreating to Nashville, he remained there two weeks, and then was in the attack on Hood, who was driven out of his works and many of whose men were captured. After following Hood to Stone River, Mr. Porter went by boat to Cincinnati, and thence to Washington, where he remained about four weeks. Then sent to Alexandria and North Carolina, he took part ht a campaign there, meeting Sherman on his return from the march to the sea. Going to Salisbury, he stayed there for three months, when he was mustered out, obtaining his final discharge at Columbus, Ohio. in August, 1865.
March 4, 1858, at Dunkirk, Ohio, was celebrated the marriage of Freeman Porter and Louisa Mains. The latter was born July 17. 1835. in Richland County, Ohio, to Ed and Margaret (Young) Mains, natives of Ireland and Virginia. respectively. She is one of eight children, all but two of whom yet survive. A large family of children was born to Mr. and Mrs. Porter.
Source: Portrait and biographical record of Marion and Hardin counties, Ohio, Chapman Publishing, 1895, pp 452-455